A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Sunday, November 30, 2003

A Part of Nature


Was supposed to go for the second half of the SBWR volunteer guide training today but fatigue, a splitting headache and a funny tum kept me home. Sleep was the answer.

Now, I recall the feelings I experienced as I sat in the bus on the way to training yesterday. I thought about how everyone of us is in essence a part of nature, a part of the huge eco-system.

But in our everyday life of rushing around and trying to eke a living for survival, we forget the big picture. In our never-ending need for progression, improvement and modernisation, we've sacrificed what supports us for more concrete, metal and glass.

Floral and fauna are sacrificed in the process. I wonder how many species of plants, animals and insects have become extinct even before they were discovered and documented. Who knows, there was probably a cure for cancer and AIDs among the lost innocence of the world.

Yes, I feel that we've sacrificed our innocence, wonder and enjoyment of life and nature in the self-imposed need to be better than another. A better career, a better salary, a better car, a better dwelling, a better material life.

Man-made versus mother nature. We've given a lot of natural beauty in our empty quest. After all, we can't bring our achievements or material goods with us when our souls depart this world.

What can we do to help in our little way? Be more aware of your surroundings. Like thinking twice before you litter- it doesn't just disappear on it's own.

But if you really want to play a more active role, like me, come and get closer to nature at the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve 10th anniversary walk on Dec 7. Don't worry, there'll be guides to show you the beauty and wonder of the place (I saw a brilliant kingfisher and a huge monitor lizard among other swamp creatures). You walk along a wooden bridge so no worries of getting your ankles in water or mud.

To find out more, please check out my next posting above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home