A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Soul Food


What's the worse thing that can happen to a single girl living alone?

Falling sick.

Your head is spinning, your joints are aching, you cough and sneeze endlessly, and you yearn for some creamy hot mushroom soup, but you're too weak/tired to even climb out of bed. You feel totally ugly, and utterly lonely.

It's a good thing that no one's around to see you in this sorry state. But it's only when you are ill that you realise, once again, that you are human and really minute (say mai-nuit) in this world; without you, the world still revolves and goes on. Suddenly makes you more aware of the people and things happening around you, doesn't it?

However, that's not the hardest part.

What's painful is that the absence of human warmth, care, concern and contact, is amplified. No one to fuss over you: have you taken your medicine, are the covers sufficient to keep you warm, is the room well ventilated, are you eating well, do you require a hug or a listening ear?

It's tough, knowing you are battling the illness yourself. Not having someone around to reassure and comfort you, to say "I'll come and visit you after work/school dear", now that's tougher.

My house mate (she's Malaysian) and I are down with the common cold, I also have what the doctor terms 'tension headaches' caused by stress from work. Both of us are home today on medical leave.

My house mate's boyfriend called her during lunch hour to ask after her and to say he's visiting her after work. Her mom, who calls everyday to check on her, has sent her love as well.

Me? My mom's sick too; I'm the one that calls her to make sure she's taking her medication and that my brother's taking care of her. My best friend's going through exams and I'm her outlet for stress. And I’m single so there’s no boyfriend to moan to. So I turn to my blog!

All the medicine in the world can cure your physical illness. But nothing can soothe you emotionally like love from loved ones can. Even a comatose person can feel it.

That's because "Words are merely utterances: noises that stand for feelings, thoughts, and experience." but "Feeling is the language of the soul." (Taken from Conversations with God - an uncommon dialogue, book 1 by Neale Donald Walsch)

I hate being sick when I'm living alone....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home