A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Sunday, March 07, 2004

Race day number one


So the 2004 season of the Formula Grand Prix began with Michael Schumacher winning the Australian race at Melbourne's Albert Park circuit. Team mate Rubens Barrichello followed and Renault's Fernando Alonso completed the top rankings.

F1 fans must have been upset that the much anticipated pressure on M Schumacher from MacLaren Mercedes' Kimi Raikkonen didn't happen - the latter had to back out of the race when his car encountered some technical problems in an early lap.

It must also have been a disappointment to McLaren Mercedes' David Coulthard that he didn't retain his title from last year. He only managed to finish in eighth position (if I don't recall wrongly), which I suspect is not where he wants to be considering that the 2004 season will be his last. He leaves the McLaren team to make way for the entry of Juan Pablo Montoya.

I feel a little down as I personally like Coulthard. I've followed his car on the tracks ever since I was exposed to the thrills of F1 racing in 1998/9.

What makes me particularly upset is that I won't be able to make it to the races at the Sepang circuit in KL this year, as initially planned. But I'm crossing my fingers that perhaps I may yet have the means to visit Germany in July as a birthday present to myself, or freeze my arse off in Shanghai come September.

In the meantime, I just have to be contented with catching the races in the company of friends, over a couple of burgers and beers, in front of a big screen television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home