Romance on the go
Earlier in the night, I gave Chloe the first rose she's received this year. I'd hope to spread a little cheer to her. It served its purpose and brought sunshine to my heart.
But goodness! That stalk cost three times its original price as it's just two days to Valentine's Day. Another chance for businesses to suck the moolah out of people who are 'in love'.... chocolates, flowers, stuffed toys, balloons, cards, jewellery, gadgets, leather products, restaurant meals, and I've no idea what else. I've been out of this romance thing for so long, I can't remember!
I'm not someone who expects gifts on Valentine's Day. Unless the present is something handmade, or bought way before the commercialism set in, I think prices for stuff are exhorbitant! Further, what's the point of walking around with flowers, looking like every other girl on the street? I'd rather be given flowers on any other day, so all attention will be on me.
I must admit though, that it's always great to receive gifts, whether from friends or from someone special. A warm, fuzzy feeling courses through your being and you feel loved, and that someone does think of you.
The first sweet memory of an unexpected gift was at 17 years. A guy made a paper rose from gold paper and, as we were studying in different schools, had his friend pass it to me. I also recall the time when a box (containing three glass roses, a hand-written poem and a top I wanted) was left outside the door of my hostel room. During one of my undergraduate days, my best friend conspired with my then-boyfriend to get me to town, so that he could present me with half a dozen blue roses to mark the date as we'd been together for half a year. Sometime last year, someone sent a bouquet of blue roses to me in the office, but I was terribly embarassed by it as I didn't want my colleagues to know that I was seeing someone (haha!).
None of these were on Valentine's Day, which makes them so memorable. I hardly recall what I do on Valentine's Day each year as it's quite an insignificant day to me.
But my point is, don't be surprised if I present you with a gift for no apparent reason or without any special ocassion. I just hope it brings you smile and warms your heart. :-)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home