A new significance to July 22
My parents welcomed me into the world on July 22, 1977 at 1725hr (+0800 GMT). I've always liked the way the numbers looked when written numerically: 22-7-77. Repeated numbers, and 22 seems to imply that 'good things come in pairs, twice over' (The things young kids come up with! *haha*)
Today, while surfing the web for things related to Mary Magdelen, I stumbled upon the Catholic Forum and discovered that each calendar day is a memorial for certain number or saints. I'm pretty chuffed that Mary Magdelen is one of them.
I present below the list of Saints whose meorial day falls on July 22.
Alberic Crescitelli
Augustine Fangi
Dabius
John Lloyd
Joseph of Palestine
Mary Magdalen
Meneleus
Movean
Pancharius
Philip Evans
Plato
Praxides
Theophilus


2 Comments:
At 6/02/2004 12:05 am,
Anonymous said…
Just wondering why were you chuffed that a calendar day was named after Mary Magdalene? Is it because the Bible portrays her as a prostitute? I am not really sure of her profession, having been born about 1974 to 1977 years too late, but there is some interpretation/heresay that Mary may have been of Royal blood, and Jesus's wife...
Actually it may have been false evidence all along, but just wanted to prick your mind...
At 6/02/2004 2:54 pm,
Patricea Chow-Capodieci said…
July 22nd wasn't named after Mary Magdelen, as you mistakenly wrote. If you care to read my blog carefully, it's a memorial day for a certain number of saints and MM happened to be one of them.
As to why I'm chuffed, it's because MM has always been an enigma through the ages. Was she really a prostitute, even though there was no mention of it in the Bible (in my version at least)? Did she really marry Jesus (the other question being could he have just been another prophet and not a divine being)? Is MM the Beloved Disciple as described in some gospels? Is it that difficult for the Roman Catholic church to accept that a female, and not a male, was the closest to the one they labelled saviour-of-men?
Yes, I've read the non-fiction books, the online sites, and more. Those who know me well know my views regarding religion and spirituality. You can find them in my previous posts.
For me, MM was a woman who's sufficiently extraordinary to garner so much attention. Why not Mary the mother? Or Mary the sister? Why specifically MM? I think she lived as best as she could, for a woman of her time. In my eyes, she's a survivor, like me.
While I do appreciate comments, I don't appreciate that those who leave comments are not brave enough to put their name to it. Be proud of what you have to say. If you want to hide behind 'anonymous' then don't say anything at all.
Post a Comment
<< Home