Flashback through music
Perhaps someone may be able to explain why I always think of my mother when I listen to Joni Mitchell!!!
Well, not that it's entirely bad. Just that memories of the things I did with her, that I thought were erased through years of growing up, suddenly resurfaced.
I remembered the Sunday mornings when dad would wake brother and myself up at seven (which is already late by mom's standards) to go to the wet market with mom. We'd all follow her as she bought the fresh produce, whether it was chicken, fish, meat, vegetables or spices. Dad would help to carry the marketing while brother was just there to irritate everyone (I'm hungry! I want to go play! Very hot!).
Mom made sure I was always next to her as she selected the produce and haggled with the store owner. She wanted me to learn the tips and tricks so that I'll be able to obtain good bargains when I'm older and able to do my own marketing.
My mind still possesses vivid scenes of how she slashed the price of poultry so effectively, and the expert way her trained hands checked the fish gills and eyes for freshness. Sometimes the vegetable seller will be inclined to give her complimentary spring onions or parsley as my mom's a loyal customer. Even the Indian aunty selling spices will give my mom a little more of everything.
My shrewd mom was also adept at the skills of barter - she'll exchange extra onions or eggs in return for slightly more meat or seafood. I still have no idea how she pulled this off, considering the stall holders in the market should be able to obtain good bargains among each other.
Just like the little nine-year-old girl then, I still marvel at the way my mom managed to work her magic to make each stall holder feel special and appreciated. It's her secret to getting these special deals.
Although dad possessed a little of mom's marketing savvy, he couldn't replicate the relationship my mom had established with each stall holder. I remember a period when mom was sick so dad did the marketing instead. Every stall that mom frequented, which we went to, recognised us as Ah-Gek Eng's daughter or Ah-Gek Eng's husband.
Thinking of it now, that's where my first lessons in inter-personal relationships really began.
With mom at the wet market on Sundays.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home