A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Raving about food

It's always difficult to pin point when my fascination with the various races and cultures of our world began. While I am interested to know more about every single race/culture, I am particularly interested in only few, particularly those of Asia and South East Asia.

As always, food is always a good introduction. It reveals a lot about the history and climate of the country because the people had to think of ways to produce dishes with whatever mother earth provided them with at that part of the globe where they reside.

Interestingly, I've never been able to shake off my seeming affinity with food, even though this January, I left the food magazine I was writing for.

This morning, my photographer and I found ourselves at the Indian eating-house at 221 Selegie Road, to do a food review for the newsletter that my company publishes. Many of you may have been to the other air-conditioned branches of Ananda Bhavan (in fact, a new branch opened yesterday at Syed Alwi Road) but the Selegie Road branch is the real deal!

It's walls are lined with really retro-looking tiles, ceiling fans provide slight respite from the heat emitted by the numerous fluorescent ceiling lamps and some of the staff there have been with the restaurant since day one.

What made the trip memorable was the fantastic meal we had. Whether it was the vegetarian murtabak, masla thosai or various chutneys that accompanied the dishes, everything was delicious! I could taste different layers of flavours and spices. Totally no MSG, no oyster or soy sauce, no artificial flavourings.

As this was for an article, the staff was naturally more helpful and totally curious about what we thought of the food. We took the opportunity to ask them about the different accompaniments and some other Indian dishes that the photographer had tasted in other countries.

I was jumping with joy when I discovered that they had idiyappam (puttu mayam in Malay). It was one of my favourite Indian foods when I was a little girl of five and in the past 10 years, it's become increasingly difficult to find idiyappam at hawker stalls. Even if you did find it at some obscure Malay stall, the result is often a tough, chewer and terribly disappointing rendering of the stringy rice flour treat.

In all, it was an enjoyable culinary and discovery journey. It isn't something that I'll engage in often on my own, which makes the entire experience memorable.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/29/2004 1:36 am, Blogger Eliza said…

    Was surfing around, saw your well-kept blog and I must comment that it's one of the best I came across for its contents. This particular entry interests me greatly for I am currently working along Selegie Road and I never take time to explore the place in proper. Thanks for the tip! Since you used to be writing for a food magazine, I was wondering if you do know of any places selling great tasting authetic Nonya kuehs (besides Bengawa Solo)?

     
  • At 5/31/2004 10:43 am, Blogger Patricea Chow-Capodieci said…

    Hey Elizabeth,
    Thanks for reading! Always glad to be able to entertain someone.
    Bengawan Solo purchases its cakes from a confectionary/factory in Bedok. There are several kinds of Nonya kuehs so it's difficult to pin down one good shop. As far as I can recall, there's one shop situated opposite Queenstway SC that sells really good ang ku kuehs. Try Tiong Bahru market as well. Most of the stalls have moved into the temporary market area but there're a couple there that are not bad. I particularly like Harri Ann's Delights.

     
  • At 5/31/2004 10:08 pm, Blogger Eliza said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5/31/2004 10:18 pm, Blogger Eliza said…

    Hi Patricea,
    Thanks for you reply! You are a brick. Will check out on the various places you mentioned. Thank God I am staying in the western side of the island, least I complain it's too far!! Cheers.

     
  • At 10/30/2004 10:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i agree dat there's dis kueh shop juz opposite Alexandra hospital/Queensway shpg ctr...it's called teochew kueh shop in Chinese...got diff kind of kuehs there...like salty&sweet green beans kuehs, durian, yam, peanuts& lots more....worth d price! oso cheap! it's along the stretch...not hard 2 find....u can find it!

    Hmm...for the tiong bahru one...if i m nt wrong,it's at d hwk ctr dat's at queensway area(nt inside queensway shpg ctr)....u can ask ard where the hwk ctr is...d tiong bahru stall is at d bck...it sells yam,red bean& salty kuehs...

    happy eating!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home