Seize the Moment
It’s been a really wet day, and my guess is that it’s going to rain until the sun rises on Sunday.
I spent the better half of the morning sleeping – my body needed it after a whole week of pushing it beyond its limits.
Well, each one of us is made of two components, the physical and the soul. I’ve been taking care of my soul but not the shell that houses it. This shell is as important as what it contains. But I’ve been pushing it so hard for the past week, it finally protested: “Stop! I need rest!” So it gave me a major sneezing fit last night coupled with a headache. So to bed I went instead of heading out as planned. I woke today feeling rested and the sneezing went away though I still sound nasal when I speak.
It began raining this morning and I was tempted to just stay in bed. But I headed to the closing ceremony of the Sharity Gift Box, which I’d been invited to. Jenny had given my name to the Boy’s Brigade because she felt that I’d put in a lot of effort to co-ordinate the collection of gifts and cash from my own friends and company.
Truth is, I didn’t expect any thanks when I set out to ask for donations. I can’t say why or what prompted me to help get contributions for the Sharity Gift Box either. I did it because I felt like it. But I turned up the ceremony just to find out what happens, and remained incognito by not registering. I’m like this, I don’t see the need for recognition because I know that Someone is watching and my deeds have added to my karma. That’s the best recognition for me.
But the good thing was that I met Andy who’s been what I term an email friend. We’ve been emailing each other for a while. We met only once before today, when he passed me a donation from his colleagues and himself. So we took the opportunity to meet.
You know how there are some people you absolutely cannot get along with no matter what, and there are some people that you can get along with immediately? Andy was the latter.
I guess the fact that we’d been conversing through email helped. Yes, what people express over emails may sometimes be deceiving. But I guess we’ve each had our share of experiences, and we’ve individually reached the point where we see no need to have a persona or pretence just to impress people.
And he was taking as much a risk as I was in meeting me. He could just be another guy on the prowl! And I could have been a cheat pretending to collect money for charity but taking the cash to splurge on a Braun Buffel wallet or Gucci cardholder instead. You never know…
I think Andy was a little surprised at my upfront attitude and the fact that I’ve not travelled much despite my views toward life and things. Andy, I’m sorry if I’ve turned you off eggs or prawns but I was just being truthful! And I hope that by now, you’ve kind of digested the bit about the body piercings and tattoos. But it was an enjoyable meeting.
There was a time where I became weary from meeting new people. To me, it seemed like an exercise for the other person to size up a potential partner or friend. Now, I just view each new individual as a possibility to greater things.
Like how I got to know Jenny: I knew her through Darius, whom I knew through Alvin, who tried to pick me up in Liquid Room. Today, I’m glad I didn’t totally embarrass Alvin or I wouldn’t get to know Jenny. Jenny was the one that helped me get started on charity work, something that I’d wanted to do for a long but didn’t know how to. So you see, you never know.
I believe that some action or thought in the past led you to be in this present situation or to meet someone. There’s a message and an opportunity there. As you journey through life, only when you look back, will you realise the significance of each situation and each individual that you meet.
Right now, you won’t know. Your best bet is to grab every opportunity presented to you to live life and make the most of it.
It’s so easy to take for granted what you’ve been given. So don’t let people or chances slip past. Because when they are no longer there, more often than not, you’ll regret the missed chances and you won’t be able to get them back as they’ll be gone for good.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home