A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Sunday, May 16, 2004

Does friendship have a price?

A dear friend returned from a business trip to London via transit through KL, and brought back a whole load of 'goodies' for me: Mixmag, NME, DJ Mag, Klue mag and four seasons of Absolutely Fabulous DVDs!!!

Of course I was totally thrilled and behaved like a toddler let loose in a candy store. You can't really get Mixmag or NME in Singapore anymore. As for Klue, you've to be in KL to be able to pick it up.

But the icing on the cake has to be the DVDS. Let me just say they are the most expensive thing among the prezzies, coming up to S$181 alone. I've lusted after them for a couple of years and they cost such a bomb through the website.

To me, the DVDs are priceless. Firstly, they are packaged in a fancy deep purple velvet box set, very different from the only other set that I've seen that belongs to another friend. Secondly, you just can't get them in Singapore ever. Why not? Drugs, alcohol, gays, all-night parties. Need I say more!?!

However, what really touched me was the fact that my friend went out to look for them so that he could buy them for me. The gesture itself beats any other thing that he could have bought for me. And it sure beats so many other gifts/presents I've received so far.

Sure, he could have just bought some fashion item instead. After all, girls are easily appeased with a top, accessory or make-up. But to get the item that your friend really wants, regardless of its cost, is something else.

This gesture really demonstrated that true friendship is priceless. That in giving selflessly, in return you will receive in abundance. This is one friend I will keep for life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home