A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Friday, May 14, 2004

Work woes?

Finally the big presentation, which was my first with the company, is over. We have a 50-50 chance of being awarded the contract. I'd like to be confident and say "We got it!" but you know it's not over until it's over.

However, my colleagues and I are already happy and relieved that we made it this far. Only because our proposal was one of the final three short-listed from 17 tenders. Further, we only pieced together the layout and content mock-up in just over two days. If we are awarded the contract, it'll be a coup de grace against our strongest competitor. Crossing fingers now...

Today marks the end of my seventh week with the company. It's such a short time yet I feel as if I'm now part of the company.

A huge reason is due to the way the staff have gone of their way to include me in their after-office gatherings. Another is the fact that I'm given creativity freedom and more responsibility over projects handed to me. Of course, with so much freedom comes a larger amount of accountability.

Each day, from the moment I walk in to the moment I clock out, I'm given different challenges to tackle - copy for print ad, copy for brochure/newsletter, copy for website, copy for product/shelf label, copy for questionnaire, copy for TVC, concept for proposal, concept for editorial content.

Deadlines range from as short as 15-minutes to as long as two days. But I relish every chance to learn. In the process, I've discovered more about how a production house works, like contacting of suppliers, the different types of print machines, the various software used to achieve different layout results, how advertising and editorial rates are calculated... I'm fascinated because it's all new to me.

Initially, I had no idea why the company hired me. But with each passing day, the obvious thought that nothing is a coincidence is reinforced. I now know why I'm working here and learning the tips and tricks of the trade.

I hope things continue to get more exciting from next week, especially if we're awarded the contract.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/14/2004 5:40 pm, Blogger Teutoburg said…

    Congratulations on the contract and your new job! Your hardwork's paid off!

    Interesting too, this is your only post to include a Comment box. So I'm taking the chance to say something before it's possibly removed!

    I've read your posts with interest. And A Word-Smith is more than fitting for a blog that is full of candor and observation.

    So keep 'em coming!

     
  • At 5/14/2004 6:34 pm, Blogger Patricea Chow-Capodieci said…

    Hello! Thanks for your kind words.

    The reason why this is the only one with the comment box is because I recently changed the blog templateand I haven't had the time to figure out how to revive all the previous comments. They're probably lost.

    But keep the comments coming. Appreciate the feedback!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home