Glance Back, Look Forward
It’s early hours of the last day of 2003. Just returned from supper with Zhen Han after we spent one-and-half hours in Velvet Underground with Kimi. We’re all excited about our Indulge! Event this Friday, which I know will go smoothly and turn out to be a huge success.
I’ve been quite involved in the bedroom*jocks site this past year as compared to the previous year. I must credit Kimi for giving me renewed hope that the local scene can and will grow. His ideas sometimes sound outlandish and too huge to undertake. Still I encourage and support him in whatever way I possibly can. As my editor-in-chief told me once: if I don’t throw you into the deep end now, when will you ever learn to swim? Zhen Han joining us has been an injection of even more energy and creativity to the team. I’m glad these guys are on the team.
[Kimi dude, sorry if I sometimes run-down your ideas or always push you for stuff, but someone has to be the practical one to ensure that all deadlines are met! Zhen Han, we’re waiting for your next piece of writing!]
Getting more involved and active with bedroom*jocks wasn’t one of my resolutions for 2003, it just happened. Out of the 12 resolutions I made for this year, I’ve managed to accomplish six. Quite a feat for someone who was making resolutions for the first time!
Looking at my list for 2003, I think some items were too idealistic. So for 2004, I only have one resolution: learn how to ride a motorbike.
My brother was the first encouraging individual, while my mom (as always) was the first wet blanket. I understand my mom’s stand so I don’t blame her. I just hope I don’t behave like she does when it’s my turn to be a mother!
However, Vincent offered several helpful and handy tips on bike-riding lessons, and even suggested bike models that I could ride once I’d obtained my license.
Many would say that my brother’s so enthusiastic because he’s also a biker (he rides an Aprilla 250). But if you know my brother, he never bothered about me in the past, and vice versa. Our relationship has improved tremendously over the past two years and he’s been my guru when it comes to computer, investments, bike and guy issues. He turns to me when he has trouble relating to my mother, discussing touchy issues with his girlfriend or when he has queries about travel or writing and books.
How ironic that it had to take the two of us 24 years to experience the kind of sibling love that other people have had since young or have since taken for granted. Due to the fact that we’ve taken so long to achieve this, we appreciate each other more. In fact, even though we don’t stay under the same roof and despite our limited communication, we understand each other’s habits and character very well. I was pleasantly surprised when he gave me an incense oil burner for Christmas, something that I wanted to buy for a long time. He was delighted at the pair of shoes I gave him, even though I bought it with an educated guess of his shoe size. Now, Vincent’s eager for me to begin on my license soon as he can’t wait to see me ride my own Vespa.
So that’s my main goal for the following year: learn to ride motorbike. Wish me luck!
Happy new year folks!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home