A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Taking my time


Some people know immediately when they like something. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I fall into the category where it takes time for me to grow to like something.

So that's how it has been with music. The first time I hear a tune, I'll probably go, "The melody's not too bad. Can't catch the lyrics though..." and proceed to promptly forget about it. A couple of days later, I may hear it playing on the radio or by a DJ when I'm out. This time round, I'll find out what the title is as the tune is beginning to grow on me. By the third time, I'll try and get the MP3 of the song as well as find out its lyrics.

By the fourth time I listen to the tune, I've developed a major crush and affair with the tune. It goes onto repeat mode on my computer or discman, and I can sing the tune.

If the tune survives the repeat mode for three months, it's here to stay. I can pull it out anytime and still fall in love with it, all over again.

Some tunes that have had that immense effect on me include Suede's Beautiful Ones and Dark Star, Iio's Rapture, Coldplay's Shiver and Yellow, Sarah Brightman's Deliver Me, Delirium's Silence, Andain's Beautiful Things, The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony and Sonnet, Madonna's Take A Bow and Frozen, Joi's Fingers, Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, Perez Padro's Sway, Frank Sinatras New York New York and My Way, Manic Street Preacher's Tsunami, Radiohead's Creep, Pearl Jam's Daughter, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody...

The latest tune to join the list: U.N.K.L.E.'s In A State.

It gives me an unprecedented euphoric high each time I listen to it.

(I'm) In A State (of bliss) ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home