A new start to the New Year
Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you better health, happiness and peace.
The first day of the year passed quietly. I met Josephine for coffee and some light shopping before coming home to watch Baz Luhrmann’s film version of William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet. It may not exactly be the best film to kick off the New Year with. Yes, love was the main theme. But the underlying message of the film, regarding how we can’t predict or control the events of our lives, is so true. Shakespeare was a genius of his time. Luhrmann is a genius of our time, in the area of cinema direction and production. If you caught Moulin Rouge, you’ll agree with me.
But I digress….
The way I said goodbye to 2003 and welcomed the New Year was quiet too.
On the afternoon of Dec 31, I met Pete and Andy for lunch at Vil’age, before watching the extended version of LOTR Fellowship of the Ring. Then it was to a gathering with a few people that I’d met only five days before yesterday night. Dinner was a quiet yet delicious affair, my compliments to chef Andre for the fine Italian spread. We rounded up the meal with wine and cigars before taking a leisurely walk to East Coast beach. At midnight, we popped champagne while watching bright red emergency flares being fired from ships moored off the coast. It was quiet and serene, and I was totally happy and at peace.
What a difference from how I welcomed 2003!
I didn’t really think about what I did the previous New Year’s Eve until Andy related how he, together with some friends, had gone to the Singapore Cricket Club to welcome 2003.
But, I couldn’t recall what I did! So when I reached home this morning around 0130hrs, I looked at my pocket diary for 2002 and discovered that I was actually partying at Liquid Room on Dec 31 2002.
There were moments in the last day of the 2003 when I was tempted to join friends at the Expo (for Essential NYE party with MOS DJs) or at Suntec (for Paradise featuring Steve Lawler and Dave Angel). Somehow, an inner voice told me that I’m better off in the quietude of the night and good company present.
Though I woke with a slight headache, no doubt from last night’s mix of wine and champagne, memories of the previous night still make me smile.
I feel good about 2004. I’m unusually upbeat for someone who’s going to be jobless in a couple of weeks. But I’m not worried as signs tell me that everything will turn out fine. Not only for me, but also for all my friends and those dear to me.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home