It's not as glamourous as you think
I just watched 13 to 30, starring Jennifer Garner. The story's about a 13-year-old girl who wishes to grow up, fast. She wakes the next morning to find that she's 30, the editor of a fashion magazine, and stays on her own in a well-furnished pad that comes with a live-in boyfriend who happens to be a star hockey player.
The hunky boyfriend is believeable. But the glamourous lifestyle as a magazine editor, and the swanky Manhattan-esque apartment is just a whole load of bull.
It's movies like these that glamourise the editorial profession, giving people a skewed perception of the industry. Sure, it may be all parties, balls and champers when you work in a magazine like Vogue USA, Conde Nast Traveller, or Bon Appetit. But it's long hours, tight deadlines, sales people screwing your pagination to include their clients' ads at the last minute, chasing people for press releases or interview slots or passes or pictures, crappy pay and long, long hours.
There's nothing glamourous about this life. There's always this misconception that media types get invited to the most happening and exclusive parties or interviews. The truth is farther than you expect.
Sometimes, we're not invited - we invite ourselves. We'll actually call the organiser/PR agency/manager and hassle them for an invite. Most times we've to hassle people to set us up with interviews with celebrities,whether it's one-on-one or a press conference. Fact is, if you don't do it, you don't get invited! When this happens, I feel like a begger asking for handouts, but I've to do it to get the story.
No one should have to belittle themselves in this way but that's how the industry works. Journalists and editors are treated shabbily because we don't pay for entry or drinks. We come across as free-loaders and some clients/PR agencies detest that.
Of course, writing is only one aspect of the job. There's so much to do even though the title reads 'journalist/writer/editor/copywriter'. There's the concept to think of; the type of photos you want to go with the article; the copy to proof-read; the headlines to think of; the public relations you've to engage in at events; the different types of new and interesting promotions you have to introduce in the publication; marketing your publication overtly when you meet people; etc etc etc.
Frankly, I'm tired of the sorry pay and heavy workload of this industry. I don't mind working my arse off if I knew I'd draw $4K at the end of the month. But to slog like a slave and get only $2.5K, that's sad. The only recognition you get is the portfolio that you build, and the hope that your next employer will up your starting salary by 20%.
I want out. I'm working towards it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home