A Word-Smith's Substance (old)

An expression of things that randomly pop into the area in the north of my physical being that I like to call my analytic-box.

Sunday, January 04, 2004

Beach Babe


The first Sunday of 2004 marks my return to sun tanning.

Yes, I’m a sun-worshipper, as much as I’m a moon and stars lover. I was back at my favourite Siloso beach after an absence of three months. Two hours of sun, wonderful.

I have to thank Adam for giving me a reason to turn up though. I met Adam through Andy last Friday at the launch of indulge!. Adam’s a professional wake-boarder from Adelaide and he was in Singapore for the past six weeks to perform at Sentosa’s Palawan beach. Today was his last show before he returns Down Under so I decided to go and catch the show. He was the only one on the wake-board while there were three other professional jet-skiers. Good show, thoroughly enjoyed myself.

It was interesting to note the crowd distribution at the two beaches though. Siloso was quieter than Palawan. Maybe because there were a couple of company Family Day events happening at the latter. But on normal days, Palawan has more of a crowd because there’s a little islet across the beach that Sentosa claims is the southern-most point of the equator.

But I still prefer Siloso beach, no matter what people say. The sand there is finer, it’s quieter on Sundays, there’s a better view of the sea and horizon from the beach, and the breeze is cooler. Maybe it’s also because the place holds many memories for me.

I do miss the days when I used to tan with a whole bunch of people and Mahalo Beach Bar was still around. We’d be chugging alcohol while tanning, or dancing to beats mixed by the DJ.

I remember a particular Sunday at Mahalo, where we arrived early to catch only one hour of sun. Then it began to pour, and it kept raining until the evening so everyone took shelter at the bar. Four of us – Peanut, Sophia, Cassh and myself –drank too much vodka cranberry and Boston Beach party cocktails. Suddenly, the idea of dancing in the rain seemed interesting. So there we were, each of us dancing atop a wooden table in the rain while the DJ spun at the decks. Hilarious. But it was one of the best Sundays for us.

Mahalo Beach Bar has moved to East Coast Big Splash since earlier this year. I now tan alone. But Siloso’s still my favourite spot. I know it’ll become crowded once again, when all the upgrading works at all the beaches are completed. For now, it’s my private paradise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home